We are coming to the end of 2015 and things are as wacky as they have always been. Now comes 2016 and I promise you things will be wackier, zanier, and close to insane. However, one thing that will NOT change is, heck it will NEVER change, the demand for REAL LEADERS to step up and lead.
This applies to all sectors of our lives; public, private, work, home, schools, local, county, state, federal and global levels.
There is always a need for leaders and an even greater need for followers. One has to lead and one has to follow. One has to follow in order to be a leader. However, a leader does not get to pick his/her followers. Followers pick their leaders.
There are many ways followers pick their leaders. Lately, it seems that they pick their leaders much like Baskin-Robbins picks the flavor of the month, what looks good and has mass appeal whether it is good for them or not. However, in most cases this “flavor of the month” is NOT good for the masses. Sadly, people find this bit of bad news out a little too late, when that “leader” is fully entrenched into a position of leadership.
Actually, it could turn out to be the biggest mistakes of their lives and all because it sounded good at the time.
All is not lost. Here are twenty things to remember about what real leaders are versus what others believe they think they are. I would highly recommend you look at this list before finding a leader to follow or before becoming one worthy of following.
- A Real Leader will be the FIRST one on the battlefield.
- A Real Leader will RESPECT everyone, especially those he/she does not agree with.
- A Real Leader will SEE all sides.
- A Real Leader will never take a SIDE.
- A Real Leader will take a STAND.
- A Real Leader is entitled to his or her own opinion.
- A Real Leader will keep those opinions to himself/herself.
- A Real Leader will never thrust his or her OPINION on others.
- A Real Leader will NOT incite others to do his/her bidding.
- A Real Leader will do what he/she can to make others GREAT.
- A Rea Leader will do what it takes to make EVERYONE great.
- A Real Leader will NEVER single anyone out.
- A Real Leader will never blame others.
- A Real Leader will take the BLAME first.
- A Real Leader will TEACH.
- A Real Leader will NEVER teach hate.
- A Real Leader will ASK questions
- A Real Leader will NEVER know all the answers.
- A Real Leader will be HUMBLE, always.
- A Real Leader will be the LAST one off the battlefield.
Now ask yourself, are you that kind of a Real Leader? Are the leaders you follow the kind of leaders that fit into any of the 20 observations mentioned? Probably not. I may be wrong but I doubt it.
See most of the everyday, “run of the mill” leaders will give you one or two of the 20 and call it good. Those average leaders will do the bare minimum just to appease those that follow him or her. Of course, you let yourself be taken in (fooled) by the bare minimum. Most of us have at one point or another in our lives have fallen into that trap. So long as that mediocre leader flashes us a smile once in a while and promises the world then we are happy little campers.
People like the fact that the leader is “trying” until it comes time to really put up or shut up. Then those same people find out that the so-called leader hasn’t the backbone to do what it takes to do the job that comes with being a Leader. The truth is revealed, the individual they counted on as a leader turns out to be ALL SHOW and NO GO!
What kind of a leader is that? Exactly, no kind of a leader.
Folks, it is time to find yourself a Real Leader. A Leader you would be proud to say you would follow blindly into battle or do what has to be done, no questions asked.
Is that too much to ask for?